I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

April 07, 2017

Ditch the Paintbrush......Projects


Earlier this week I shared options for applying paint without a brush.  I also shared that I am sinking deeper and deeper into the art journaling black hole.  YIKES!

I will admit I am really enjoying the journey.  I now spend time each morning playing in my new Dylusions journal.  I got the smaller one, which is perfect for me.  I like tiny.  Today I am sharing my first page with the world.




Rule #1: Creativity needs Moodling
The name of this blog comes from a book by Brenda Ueland.  In her book, If you Want to Write, she writes, "So you see imagination needs moodling-long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering."  It is my guiding principle of creativity.  I see creativity like a muscle.  Use it or lose it.

My first art journal is dedicated to that principle.  But is not the only rule I have.  (I am a HUGE NCIS fan.  Gibbs has rules for life, I have rules for creativity.)  This journal will become a home for all I know about creativity.  

My 2nd rule?  Messy is an awesome way to start the day!

Apply paint using baby wipe.

Randomly stamp images on to background. 

Stamp border and color with Distressed Crayons.

Apply Matte Medium to small sections of the background and cover with old book paper.  Allow time to dry.

Once dry, remove excess paper.

Color book paper with Distress Crayons.

Add paint using edge of plastic key card.

Apply thin coat of clear Gesso.  Allow time to dry.

Add drips to page using Prima crayons.  Distress crayons do not run as well as Prima or Gelatos.

Stamp image.  Color with watercolor pencils and cut out image.

Adhere image to page.

Add sentiment to page.

Final step....apply a think layer of Glazing/Varnish Medium.


I will be featuring future pages as part of an ongoing series, Rules of Creativity.
Jeri'

2 comments:

  1. Love your ideas on Journaling! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. It has been a lot of fun to begin the art journaling journey.

      Delete