I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

PanPastels

PanPastels
Flash Sale-Enroll Today and Save 60%

February 12, 2017

The Blank Canvas

The blank canvas.  I don't care if it is a scrapbook page, a canvas or a tag.....we have all stared at a blank page and wondered what to do.  I imagine Van Gogh and and Monet fought the same problem.  But maybe that is wishful thinking.  Something to ease my own insecurities. :)

I find a canvas or a tag much easier to begin than a scrapbook page.  An artist piece always starts with a spark, an inspiration, an emotion, a story.  It is never really about the page at all.  It is about telling the story or visualizing the emotion.  

Van Gogh talked about why he painted and expressed his need to share how he felt about and saw the world through his art.  I imagine that is the essence of any artist.  When I started scrapbooking 16 years ago, I never imagined the journey it would take me on.  It would unlock passions I never knew existed.  It created pathways to express my story, my emotions and my inspirations and share them with others.

Now back to that blank page.  When I work on an artist piece I start with two things: A background and a quote.  For years I have collected quotes.  I find them inspirational and uplifting.  That is where I begin.  Then I build the piece to be a visual representation of that quote and the emotions attached to it.  The quotes I pick for each piece are not random.  They are an expression of how I feel about the world, and my journey in it, at that moment.

I wanted to share this process with you in 2017.  Each month I will create a new piece with one of my favorite quotes.  I will be focusing on  inspirational quotes.  Check out January's quote here.

For February the quote comes from Walt Whitman.  It is from his famous poem: Oh Me! Oh Life!

"That you are here-that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
What will your verse be?"

If this quote inspires you too....join me.  You can share your work by posting a link in the comments section on or my Facebook group

Have fun!
Jeri'

No comments:

Post a Comment