I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

February 21, 2017

Goal Setting Done Right



I recently shared my 2017 goals.  Truth be told, some of those goals have been on my yearly list for several years.  ๐Ÿ˜•

This is problem that drives me a bit crazy....so I decided to it was time to re-exam my approach.

Read on to learn more.






Goal Setting Basics
There are four basic keys to ensuring one is successful at achieving their goals

  • Is it a priority?  Why is it important?  
  • Understand the obstacles and develop a plan to overcome them.
  • Does if fit within your daily habits.  Habits are a huge part of achieving our goals....more about that in a moment.
  • Having the opportunity to review goals on a regular basis.
So how am I doing with my scrapbooking goals?  Am I meeting the above keys?  As I look at that list one thing stands out.  I don't have any habits surrounding my creative time.  I mostly create because I have to for my blog posts or my workshops.  Not that I don't enjoy that time, I do.  But I don't spend a lot of time in my studio just for fun.  And I have no designated time for scrapbooking.  This is a recipe for failure.

Why are habits so important?  Habits make up over 50% of our daily activities.  We do them without even thinking about it.  When trying to achieve a goal it is important to develop new habits that support that goal.  For example, if you want to eat healthier but you eat breakfast at McDonald's every morning your chances for success will be substantially reduced.  Having to fight against your habits leads to failure.

This year I decided I wanted to add sit-ups and stretching to my daily routine.  I first tried adding it to my morning routine when I first get up.  But it didn't fit and I struggled meeting my goals.  I have also tried to add it to my evening routine and that was an even bigger failure. :)  Finally I opted to add it after my morning walk.  That walk is a habit and I do every day.  (And if I try to skip it, my dog nags me to no end.)  That worked.  I now do my stretching and sit-ups after our walk and I don't give it a second thought.

I know to be successful I will need to find a way to add scrapbooking to my normal routine.  

To review my goals on a regular basis, I created a template to record all of my 2017 goals.  It includes places for habits, obstacles, task and benefits.  I will make sure I review them on a weekly basis.  (I have a secret obsession with creating forms.  Seriously, I find it more fun than it should be.)






You can download my goal setting template here:
Goal Setting Template













Still struggling to create better habits?  Check out the tips below.


In Review
If you are having trouble achieving your goals, ask yourself these four questions.

  • Is it a priority in your life?
  • Do you understand the obstacles to achieving your goal?  And do you have a plan to overcome them?
  • Do your habits support this goal?
  • Can you review this goal on a regular basis?
The answers will lead you in the right direction.

The Path to Success
Now back to those scrapbook albums.  I already know they are important to me and I can review my goals on weekly basis.  I know my biggest obstacle is time.  To combat that I have simplified the process.  For each album I will quickly decide what pages I want for each month and only print the photos I need.  

In the past I have printed off all of the photos, which is completely overwhelming.  Now I will just have a handful of photos to work with.  The planning sheet is simple and can be stored with the album as I work on it.  I also tend to over complicate the planning process, which is a waste of what little time I have.

Now I just need to create a routine around scrapbooking.  Not sure what that will look like, but if my sit-ups are any clue I will probably have to try several options before finding the perfect one.







Download Scrapbook Album Planning Template


If you are looking for a more detailed template....try this one. 










I hope my journey helps you with your own artistic endeavors.  I know how frustrating it can be to feel like you are falling farther and farther behind. The frustration with not using your supplies. I hope my struggles and solutions will inspire you.  Maybe give you some insight to lead you to the path of success.

Happy Crafting!
Jeri'

No comments:

Post a Comment