I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

November 04, 2016

Trying Something New.......Gelli Plates

I would like to share a little secret with you.  I am fearless in my studio.  I will try anything, mix anything, play anything and have fun doing it.  This has on more than one occasion ended horrifically.  But I am happy to say no animals have been hurt during my experiments.  (Although, our wonderful dog Nitro has learned to stay clear.)

I know this is not the case for everyone.  Some are so afraid of messing something up or ruining a project they simply choose to do nothing at all.  That fear as always been at the heart of this blog and the reason I teach.  I will die a happy women if never again a tool is left unused out a fear. (Ok, that might be a little over the top, but you get the idea.)  Read on to learn about my adventures of Gelli Plating.  

Since I am sharing secrets with you, I will share another.  I am not a huge fan of paint.  ****GASP***  I know, I know, how can I call myself a crafter and not love paint.  (I think I might lose my carfter's card over this.)  Why don't I love paint?  It always feels too permanent for me.  I like color mediums that I can still manipulate even after it has dried.  Once paint has dried.....that's it, you're stuck with it.

This is probably why I put off purchasing a Gelli Plate.  Generally it is only used with paint, which, given my dislike of paint, did not appeal to me.  But I eventually caved.

Which gets me back to secret #1......fear of using something new.  I decided to share my adventures with you.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I always tell my students everyone begins in the same place.  It is in the trying that one learns, that one excels, that one masters.  

I am a long way from mastering the Gelli Plate.  But I did thoroughly enjoy using it and it makes me like my paints a little bit more.  I like that it only transfered a thin layer and I LOVE that I can use it to build layers.  That makes me very happy.

If you would like to see my first Gelli Plate experience (HA! That means I just lost my Gelli Plate virginity. LOL!)  enjoy the video below.



These are some of the resulting prints I ended up with.  Not everything turned out as good as I wanted, but I still learned a lot.  (I also learned that I need to purchase some more paint. This means a trip to the craft store.......like I'm feeling bad about that!)   I can see using the Gelli Plate could be totally addicting.  I am sure there will be a longer session in my future and I promise to share the results.










These are the final prints from the video where I used Gel Medium to create a resist.  I love how they turned out.  I used the first print on my November tag....which I will be sharing in the near future. (Like, next week.)



So if you have a tool or product that is collecting dust pull it out and get to know it a little be better, you might be surprised at the results.  Thanks for stopping by, your support means the world to me.
Jeri'

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration. I have tried Gelli plate once and didn't like the results so I put it away. Time to dig it out again and give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you definitely should pull it out again. I am already planning on making some paper stencils with my Cricut, that way I don't have to clean up my other stencils and I can use the paper stencils on projects too. HMMMMM....I may have to get busy today.

      Delete
  2. These are super cool and I love the idea of using embossing folders!! Time to pull out that plate again, - thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome....have fun playing. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you , yes I would like to try , simple but looks so creative

    ReplyDelete

  4. Love the idea of using embossed paper so that you get both the mark making benefit of the embossing but also the ability to use the "printed" paper later. Double benefits and no wasted paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a bunch of paper stencils with my Cricut for my next Gelli Plate session. Can't wait to try those. :)

      Delete