I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

October 04, 2016

Pencil Comparison: What pencil does what?



Pencils coming all types, styles and colors.  All that variety can easily lead to confusion.

In my workshops students often ask if they can substitute one product or another.  Sometimes, but each color medium preforms differently, so the outcome may not be the same.

I thought it might be time to review some of the pencil options on the market and what they can do.  And just for go measure I added in watercolor crayons and water-soluble, oil pastels.

Plus I have a brand new challenge for you.  Read on to learn more.





Understanding Pencils
The video below will explain the different types of pencils on the markets from colored pencils to watercolor pencils to Inktense pencils and more.




Challenge # 28: Favorite Paper
I have a number of favorite paper lines that I turn to over and over.  I love Prima, Basic Grey, Tm Holtz, Kaiser Craft, Fancy Pants and more.  One of my all time favorite paper lines is Club Scrap.  Over the year I have subscribed to their kits and will probably again.....once my stash is a bit smaller. :)

For this challenge I made a card to insert into my Happy Planner.

Supplies:
  • Surfaces: Pattern Paper, Card Stock and Watercolor Paper
  • Color Mediums: Inktense Pencils, Ink (Black and Green) and Black Pen
  • Tools: Dies (Label, Bird and Border), Branch Stencil and Stamps (Bird)
  • Other: Printed Tissue Paper

For this project I chose to use one of my favorite paper companies....Club Scrap.  I love their colors and patterns.

Layer tissue paper onto background.

Outline with Sharpie.

Layer die cuts onto background.

Add faux stitching to label die.

Stamp image onto watercolor paper using waterproof ink.  Use watercolor pencils or Inktense pencils to color stamped image.

Add additional color to image. 

Highlight edges with black ink.

Stencil branch onto label die.

Add bird image to background.

Add quote to card.  I used the final two lines of one of my favorite poems.  O me! O life! by Walt Whitman


Want to learn more about colored pencils or watercolor pencils?  Check out the workshops below.



Thanks for stopping by,
Jeri

No comments:

Post a Comment