I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

October 11, 2016

Challenge: Background Stamps....7 Ways to Use Background Stamps




This week our challenge is background stamps.  I am busy in the studio working on my latest workshop, but I wanted to share some inspiration with you.











7 Ways to use Background Stamps
Background stamps can be used in so many different ways it seems a shame to only use them for backgrounds.  So I scoured the internet (aka Pinterest) and my own samples to find inspiration for this week's challenge.

#1:  Partial Stamping
With a little masking you can use background stamps to create borders, corners and edges.

Sample from Pinterest.

#2:  As a Resist
This is one of my favorite ways to use use background stamps, especially on white paper.   Simple stamp, emboss and color.

Sample from Everyday Moodlings blog.

#3: To Create Texture
Stamp with Gesso to create interesting texture on your projects.  You can also spread a thin layer of Gesso on your surface and stamp into it.  Or use embossing powder to create a variety of different textures.

Sample from Pinterest.

#4: With Other Color Mediums
Use Perfect Pearls or Pan Pastels with your backgrounds to create beautiful and unique effects.  Simply stamp with VersaMark ink and color.  You can also stamp with Gelatos, Twinkling H2Os, Paint and more.  Don't limit your stamps by only using ink.

Sample from my workshop: Color Inspiration: Perfect Pearls

#5: To Decorate Embellishments and Die-Cuts
Die-Cuts can look a little sad when plain.  Try dressing them up with background stamps.


Sample from my workshop: The Endless Possibilities of Stamps


#6:  Decorating Tissue Paper or Deli Paper
Forget card stock and watercolor paper.  Pull out the tissue paper or deli paper.  Once stamped you can layer them onto other backgrounds to add depth and interest.


#7: Cut Into Pieces/Parts
Look at a background stamp as more than just the whole.  Cut it into strips, squares, corners, circles and more.

Sample from my workshop: The Endless Possibilities of Stamps



Have fun playing with your background stamps and thanks for stopping by,
Jeri'


2 comments:

  1. Jeri - thank you for bringing these ideas together in one spot! I am just starting my exploration of art journalling and I have read lots of ideas, so many that my head is spinning! This is a trove of good ideas. I especially like the idea of using the texture paste! So much to try, so much fun in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete