I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

June 21, 2016

Crafty Challenge #22: Take One Step AND Begin a Journaling Practice

Crafty Challenge #22 Take One Step
Hey crafty gang! Shirley Pando here. This week's challenge is to TAKE ONE STEP to doing something creative that you've always wanted to do. In other words, one step toward a goal. What does that mean? I am sure it looks different for all of us. 

Maybe you've always loved background techniques but want to become more proficient. You may want to start learning and/or practicing some new techniques. 

Maybe you've always wanted to take better photographs, so you may want to sign up for a photography course or start taking more photos. 

And maybe, just maybe, you want to start reorganizing your supplies because you cannot find anything any more! Ouch..I think we can all relate to that one! 

Whatever you would love to do or learn, TAKE ONE STEP this week. Keep reading for more inspiration....





Benefits of Journaling


Journal page tree



I've always wanted to start journaling and make it a daily practice. I have several journals. I do confess that some are blank! But have never taken on the daily or even weekly practice of writing. Why...maybe I think I am "too busy" or have "nothing to say". Neither of those are really true, of course. I believe everyone has something very important to say. Things you've learned from your past, things that are important to you. I believe journaling can help you work through tough times, heal wounds, and give you ways to see your progress and changes in different areas.





I was surfing the web the other day and found some wonderful sites that cater to journalers and wanna be's. Here are just a few...
  • Emily Scott - Creative Courses and Coaching for Meaningful Content Development. This specific link is to her post on "9 Benefits of Daily Journaling". She offers links to previous blog posts, prompts, and even a library of goodies if you subscribe to her newsletter. One of the many things I like that she has said is that you should start a daily journaling practice because it "builds confidence, increases self-acceptance, encourages self-discovery, creates a positive environment, and defeats resistance and fear". Sign me up!
  • Another fun site is Andrea Schroeder's Creative Dream Incubator. This links to the page where you can take part in her free art journaling class. Andrea says that keeping a creative journal can "help you connect with your inner voice, give you space to express your uncomfortable feelings and then heal and transform them, support self-care, and nurture your dreams and change your life". Now who doesn't need that??!!
  • You must check out BuzzFeed's "18 Journals that Will Give Your Brain a Workout". I think I'd love to take a look at every one of these journals!

Journal Prompts
If you'd like to start journaling try out some of these prompts that I made. 
  • Dear Younger Me - What wise words would you give to your younger self...at 15 years, 25 years, 35 years, etc?
  • What has been the most pressing thing on your heart and mind in the last week or two? Why? (I am in Orlando and the "recent events" are still on all of our minds. So heartbreaking. I have lots of thoughts and emotions from lots of different angles to write about.)
  • Where do you go to find wisdom? Is it a person or a place or a Holy Book?
  • What is your dream for you life? Physically, spiritually, career-wise, or other-wise. Write down the steps that you need to take to get there. What step can you take today? This week? This month? 
  • In your opinion, what is the meaning of life? (I know, I know...you are still trying to find out. That's OK, write about the angst.)
  • What or who do you need in your life right now? (I am desperate for some girlfriends. I have a lot of online friends, but need to gather my faves in person and head to lunch or coffee or have a tea party. I'm dying to have a tea party!)
  • What is your dream job? (I had my dog professionally groomed last week and think being a dog groomer would be such a fun job. Am I crazy??)
  • When is the last time you tried something new? Maybe a new hair style, new food, or a new adventure, etc.
  • What are your strengths? Yep, we often focus on our weaknesses, and there is a time and place for that. Instead, focus on your strengths so you can fan them into flame and grow them!!
He Said, She Said journaling cards


DIY Journal Cards
One way to begin journaling in a small way might be to use journaling cards or tags. Add them to your pocket scrapbooking, keep them loose in a small file box, or add them to a SMASH book/junk journal. Check out the video below to see some easy ways to make journaling cards.


Anything can become a journal. I personally like the "old fashioned" paper and pencil. Want to use up all those wonderful papers and supplies you've gathered throughout the years? Come join me in my newest online workshop, "Lovely Leftovers: Junk Journal Workshop". Use up all that crap stuff you've been hoarding collecting and create a one-of-a-kind journal in the process. It's a WIN-WIN! Class begins today, June 21st. All course materials are open upon enrollment so you can work at your own pace. I'll be in the classroom for any questions.





Do you journal regularly? Tell me what it means to you...or how important it is. Make up a journaling prompt or two and share with us below.

Happy Crafting...and journaling!
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment