Have I ever told you how much I love maps? No, not Google Maps, although that is quite useful. I'm talking about paper maps...those colorful, wonderful printed diagrams folded multiple times that fit neatly in a glove box. (For some reason you just cannot get them folded back as precisely as you received them. What's up with that??) We all had those paper maps "back in the day" before Smart Phones. It was such fun to plot your course for the yearly family vacation. Yellow highlighter required!
We still have and use paper maps in all of our cars. When our maps become worn and torn, I confiscate them to my art studio. I cannot bear to let them go into the garbage. I get such inspiration from the lines, colors, and text. Road maps, topographic maps, maps of...whatever. I love them! I also have collected quite a few maps that come tucked inside National Graphic magazine.
These cool maps are from National Geographic magazine
If you, like me, have a collection of paper maps, check out these six ways to use maps or a travel theme in your crafting projects.
- Make a Personalized Photo Map from Cut, Craft, Create
- Get your decoupage on and make Road Map Birdhouses from Crafts by Amanda
- Make some Maptastic Gift Bags from the Country Chic Cottage
- Make 10 Crafty Travel Projects from Postcards & Passports for general travel-themed projects
- Check out A Modern Girl's Travels for Nine Creative Ways to Document Your Travel Memories.
- Covers of hard backed book
- Craft knife, metal ruler
- Book rings (2)
- Paper - maps, patterned papers, lined paper, etc.
- Embellishments - Washi tape, stickers, rub-ons, tags, Project Life cards, ribbons, etc.
Check out the video, below, for instructions so you can make a DIY travel journal, too!
Maps and travel have inspired me for this week's challenge. If you want to learn how to find inspiration from what you see every day AND how to take those ideas and translate them into your art, then make sure to enroll in my BRAND NEW workshop, "It's a Beautiful World: Finding Inspiration in the Everyday". All levels of crafters/artists are invited to participate. Whether you are a paper crafter, a mixed media artist, or a fiber artist, you can benefit from this course. Class has just begun...it's perfect timing to join in now. :-)
Let us know where are you going on vacation this year. Also, share about this week's project using maps and/or a travel theme. You can upload a photo of your project, below, or post it on our Facebook Group.
Be crafty, my friends!
Be crafty, my friends!