I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

May 20, 2016

Crafty Challenge #18-12 Ways to Create a Resist



Hey crafters....I am back with a brand new challenge you will not be able to resist.

This week I completed the May Tim Holtz tag.  His tag featured a resist using tissue tape.  Resists and masking are actually some of my favorite techniques.  I love the sense of depth they add to my projects.

So I thought, let's do a resist challenge.  Read on to see how I created my May tag and learn 12 ways to create a resist.






12 Tags of 2016: May
I have been doing pretty well following along with Tim Holtz.  I did miss April, but I am back on track with May.  This month I stayed closer to his original design, but I opted for a stronger focal point.


Supplies:
  • Surfaces: Shipping Tag
  • Tools: Stamps (Tree and Flourish) and Stencil (Letters/Tim Holtz)
  • Coloring Mediums: Stain (Blue, Orange and Brown), Black Ink, Verasamark Ink, PanPastels (Green) and Bronze Metallic Rub-On.
  • Other: Sentiment, Tissue Tape, Modeling Paste and Embellishments
For step-by-step instructions be sure to watch the video below.




Twelve Ways to Create a Resist
Of course tissue tape is only one way to create a resist.  There many more to choose from.  If you want to learn more about resist, check out our Pinterest Board, I have added a bunch of links for you to check out.


Embossing Powder Resist

#1. Embossing Powder-This is one of the easiest and quickest ways to create a resist.  I LOVE using Gelatos or other coloring crayons with embossing powder resists.

#2. Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel-Very similar to embossing powder, but not quite the same.  Fair warning....UTEE is addictive.

#3. Painters Tape-This example is done with kids in mind, but I could totally use this for an art journaling background.

#4. Washi or Tissue Tape-I used this technique on my tag.

#5. Acrylic Mediums-Especially the glossy ones.  Only problem is you have to wait for them to dry. :)

Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly Resist

#6. Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly-You can learn this technique here.  I highly recommend this technique, super fun and always interesting results.

#7. Mod Podge-Really, what can't you do with Mod Podge?

#8. Wax Paper-I have yet to try this technique, but it looks like a lot of fun.  You can check it out here.

#9. Rock Salt-This is not so much a resist as it absorbs the color rather than resisting it.  





Liquid Masking Fluid

#10. Crayons-Yes, you can use good old Crayolas.  Or you can purchase clear beeswax crayons at an art store.  

#11. Dimensional Adhesives-Like Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents.  You can read my review of Dimensional adhesives here.

#12. Liquid Masking Fluid-This is really more of a masking technique, but I still wanted to add it to the list.  Masking and resists are very similar in the final outcome.  







Your Turn
Whew....that is a lot of resist ideas.  I know you can use one of them on a project this weekend.  So pull out your supplies and get started.  Want to join the challenge? If you post your work to a blog please add a link below.  We promise to stop by.  You can also post it on our Facebook Group.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jeri'






No comments:

Post a Comment