I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

May 03, 2016

Crafty Challenge #16 - Markers and Mother's Day

Crafty Challenge #16 Markers and Mother's Day
Hey crafter's! Shirley Pando here for Crafty Challenge #16. This week our challenge is to use markers in a project. What is it about those thin sticks of color that move us? I have come to realize I must be in love with markers because I have a TON! And I hate to admit it but I just bought more! (sheepish grin!)

Read on, my friends!






Zig Scrapbooking Kit Marker Set
The first set of markers I purchased as a serious crafter was this set from Zig. I had eyed it for a long time at my local Joann's. This way before the internet boom. I finally purchased the set with my 40% off coupon. Even still, they were quite the splurge! I mean, who wouldn't love all these amazing colors? These are pigment ink, photo safe, acid free, archival quality, fade proof, waterproof. I've used these markers most recently in my adult coloring book.

I have two other smaller Zig brand marker sets and love those as well.



Distress Markers

I believe I own half of all of the Distress Markers produced by Ranger. I love the muted colors, and, of course, they all match with their inks and stains, which is always a plus. 

While I usually keep my colored pencils and markers in their original packages, I keep my Distress Markers in a handmade zipper pouch. I painted all of these fabrics with my Gelli plate during the filming of my online workshop, "The Art of the Gelli Plate". In that workshop are instructions on how to create one of your own. It is fun to carry your art around with you in a useful and practical bag.

Pitt pens


Faber-Castel Pitt Artist Pens were another product I salivated over for quite a while before purchasing them. They are filled with India ink, which means they are waterproof. This I love!





Sharpies


And who doesn't love a good Sharpie? We probably all have at least one black one in our home, right? But why not all the colors of the rainbow? And throw in a few metallics, too! ;-)



Posca Paint Pens

These Uni-Posca Paint Marker Pens are my most recent purchase. Paint in a pen form? Yes, please! I purchased these for the one fact that you can color over top of acrylic paint. It is a MUST if you art journal, like me. 








What does all this have to do with Mother's Day? Well, first of all, don't forget that Mother's Day is quickly approaching. It is a wonderful time to express our appreciation to our mothers for all they have done for us throughout the years.

Many of you know we have three sons. My middle son, Nick, is in the Navy and has (finally) received his orders of where he will be "permanently" stationed. San Diego. That is far away from me...across the country, in fact. (Insert crying emoticon) No, he's not a mamma's boy, but I would like to see him now and then.  He's ready to begin his life and be a man on his own. I think he really already is. 

So on to my project using markers. I share a video of an art journal page - start to finish. I was planning on going with the theme of home and mother and Mother's Day, but it ended up with a slightly different focus. It focuses on how I feel toward Nick...what I feel as his mom. Keeping my heart of love always open for him...until I see him again.



Supplies:
Art journal, fluid matte medium, book paper, gesso, Liquitex Flexible Molding Paste, Crafter's Workshop stencil, October Afternoon paint sprays, acrylic paint, paper scraps, Uni-Posca Paint Pens.

art journal

close up 1

close up 2


close up 3

Check out my latest online workshop, "It's a Beautiful World: Finding Inspiration in the Everyday", which starts next week. If you want to learn how to find inspiration from what you see every day AND how to take those ideas and translate them into your art, then this is the class for you. Whether you are a paper crafter, a mixed media artist, or a fiber artist, you can benefit from this course. All levels of crafters/artists are invited to participate.



Share about your crafty adventures with markers this week. And make sure to create a card for your mom for Mother's Day.

Be crafty, my friends!
Shirley

2 comments:

  1. That is a really great journal page. I love the use of scraps around the edges...I plan to do this on one of my projects. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Most of the prompts from this particular page are from a Facebook group I belong to, Mission Inspiration, hosted by Mike Deakin. Everyone is welcome to join in. https://www.facebook.com/groups/missioninspiration/

      Delete