I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

February 23, 2016

Tuesday Challenge #7: Packing Tape Transfer AND Kicking Perfectionism to the Curb


Tuesday Challenge #7 Tape Transfer
Hey crafter's! Shirley Pando here for another Tuesday Challenge. Today's crafty challenge #7 is to try the packing tape transfer in a project.

What, you may ask, does the packing tape transfer have to do with kicking perfectionism? Well, read on, my friends. Read on.



I know, some of you  may be shocked when I tell you this, but I am quite the perfectionist. ;-) Sure, it shows up in healthy ways as I always try to do my best, but also it can be seen in unhealthy ways. I was investigating perfectionism and how to kick the habit when I came across a wonderful article on SwipesApp.com.  The article begins with this powerful quote:


“Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.”

Bren√© Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection
WOW! Them's some strong words! The article shares thoughts from three women who have overcome perfectionism. A great read if you are interested. Especially note Patti Johnson's "5 Ways that Perfectionism Gets in our Way". (ouch...how well she seems to know me!)

Whether you would consider yourself a perfectionist or not, as crafters, I feel that most of us are afraid of laying down the shield of protection, as is described in the quote above. We fear putting our art out there to share and be seen. We feel it is not as good as "so-and-so's" art. We fear we can't do it perfectly, so we don't even try (speaking from experience here, folks!). We want to be brave, but something holds us back. I say, kick that perfectionism to the curb. Take a leap of faith. Share with others...your art, your heart, your fears, your insecurities. Know what? We are all alike. No, really. We are. 

Jeri and I have each made a goal to put our art "out there" more this year and have joined several Facebook groups and challenge blogs to connect with other creatives. We will be sharing links to the various groups, along with our artwork, in future blog posts. Maybe you will join us? 

Image transfers are the perfect (there's that word again!) way to break perfectionism. Their very nature is imperfection. Streaks. Imperfect images. Wabi-sabi. Whatever happens, happens. No two are alike. Try your hand at a packing tape transfer and delight at its imperfection. What does "perfect" art look like anyway??


Packing Tape Transfer

Tape Transfer supplies

Supplies:
  • Clear packing tape
  • Bone folder or other burnishing tool
  • Image - These can be either laser printed, from a book, scrapbook paper, gift wrap, etc.
  • Bowl of warm water




Instructions:
Choose an image printed from your computer or from a book. It is important that the image be on paper. Some photo labs print photos on a paper that has a coating like plastic. This type of image won’t work.

1.  Lay a piece of tape onto the front of a printed image.
2.  Burnish image very well with a bone folder or other burnishing tool.
3.  Put tape/image in a shallow bowl with warm water. Allow to sit in the water for a few minutes. You should start to see the water softening the paper.
4.  Gently rub the back paper of the image with your finger (don’t scratch it!)
5.  Rub off all of the paper until only the image remains on the tape.


Video instructions:




When both transferred images are placed on book paper, the dark and light backgrounds 
of the images give different looks. 
Try them on different colored backgrounds and see what you like the best.
Two ladies image transfers

Try it with scrapbooking paper, too!
Tim Holtz scrapbooking paper image transfers


Do you need to kick perfectionism to the curb, too? Join with us on our brave adventures to share ourselves and our work. What challenge blogs or Facebook groups do you participate in?

Have fun crafting!
Shirley

5 comments:

  1. This is an awesome technique, Shirley! Thank you so much for sharing! I have not seen this technique before, and the first time I heard of it was here on your blog a few weeks ago. So glad you showed how to do it! I have a question... what if you just soaked it in the water for several hours (perhaps overnight) and then tried rubbing it off? Would the paper come off more easily or would it be too long in the water? I want to try this technique! Is this video part of one of your classes and if so, which one? Thanks for a great technique! I'm excited about it! I love seeing something I've never seen before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      First of all, you are very welcome for the technique. I have not left photos soaking in teh water that long, but I bet it would be fine. Try it and see.

      Yes, this video is part of my "Art Journaling for the Non-Expert" class. Even if you don't art journal, you would like it...if I do say so myself! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great project and article. I am lucky....perfectionism is not something I struggle with. Which is good, cuz I have plenty of other things to deal with. :)

    ReplyDelete