I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

December 04, 2015

Wrapping the Perfect Gift




I will admit it. I am not a great gift wrapper. I have always figured, why bother it just gets ripped to shreds anyway. :) So writing this tutorial has been a learning experience for me too. I learn some great and easy tips for making your presents shine. This year I am striving to do better. I put so much effort into picking the perfect gift and decorating our home, it seems a shame to ignore what goes under the tree.

With a few tricks of the trade you will be wrapping like a pro in no time.





Basic Tips-The right tools make all the difference.
  • Tip #1: Use plan paper. This goes a long way to making your gifts look perfect. It has the added benefit of making your supplies more versatile. You can purchase difference colors and then use your paper crafting supplies to create the theme.
  • Tip #2: If you must use pattern paper, choose basic patterns, like strips, dots and plaids. They are easier to work with. 
  • Tip #3: Measure, measure, measure. Did I say measure. :) A tape measure is a very handy tool to have. 
  • Tip #4: Use a double sided tape instead of scotch tape. It gives a much cleaner look. You will see me use both in this tutorial, but I only used scotch tape where no one could see it.

Wrapping Tutorial


Step 1: Measure
  • You are going to take two measurements for you package. 
  • The first measurement will go around the entire box. You will want to add about two inches overlap. Go ahead and round up to the nearest inch.
  • Take your second measurement going the opposite direction. Instead of measuring around the entire box, you will measure from half way down one side, along the top and then half way down the other side. The trick is to not have too much excess paper on the sides.


Step 2: Cut your paper
  • Now that you have your measurements, cut your paper based on those measures.
  • Most wrapping paper now comes will guidelines on the back, making this process much easier. Simply count the inches and cut along the lines.




Step 3: Create a seam
  • Rather then leaving the cut edge showing on the bottom of your box, we are going to create a folder edge. This is important if you are like me and can’t cut a straight line to save your life. :)
  • Along the longest cut, fold over your paper approximately 1”. You will only need to do this on one side.



Step 4: Start wrapping.

  • Place box in the middle of the wrapping paper. Secure the cut edge side 1st (the one you did not create a folded seam.)
  • Secure the other edge on top using double sided tape. Below you can see how nice the seam looks without the use of scotch tape.





 Step 5: Finish the sides

  • With this style of wrapping you will end up with point on your side folds. I found this style much more difficult then the next style we will cover. 
  • Don’t worry if it is not perfect. You can always cover it with ribbon on additional, matching paper. 
  • Place the box, wrong side up. Gently fold down the top flap and secure with tape.
  • Gently fold in each side. Secure with tape.
  • Bring up the bottom flap and secure with double sided tape. Repeat on the other side.
If your ends do not meet up perfectly.....don't worry.  You can always covering them with paper or ribbon.

 Finishing Your Present


Step 6: Adding a border.


  • For this package I used paper and ribbon to create my border.
  • You need to measure around the entire box the long way.
  • Cut and cover box with ribbon and/or paper. Make sure to cover any seams with additional embellishments. I.E. bows, flowers, buttons, die-cuts, etc. 

For my border:
  • I cut three strips of red cardstock and used a boarder punch on each edge. 
  • To make sure the paper fit nicely I scored and folder the paper around the box.








Step 6: (Cont)
  • I made sure that the top seam was in the center of the box so I could cover it with my topper. 
  • I layered ribbon on top of the card stock.







 


Step 7: Add gift topper 
  • The topper and tag is really what finish any package. It gives the eye something to look at and helps cover any imperfections. 
  • To create this topper, I started with a folded paper rosette. I layered two circle die-cuts (Spellbinder) on top. I finished it with a metal book label and buttons. To give it more of a wintery look I added White Enamel Accents to the buttons.

 Now get busy wrapping those precious gifts.  And don't forget to take pictures of your pretty packages. They are perfect for a December Daily album.  Next week we will explore handcrafted gift ideas.

Happy Crafting!
Jeri'




No comments:

Post a Comment