I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

December 15, 2015

Project Inspiration: Enamel Dots.....DIY


This month we are exploring some of the most popular trends for 2015.  Enamel dots certainly fit the bill.  They come in a wide variety of colors and shapes.  They are a wonderful, low-profile accent option.  Perfect for packing a punch without a lot of bulk.

I have read a number of posts about making enamel dots by melting Perler Beads.  I have bags of Perler Beads gathering dust in my house.  My son has long since moved on, but I don't seem to be able to part with them.  Read on to learn if my attempt at DIY enamel dots was a success or epic fail.



Project Inspiration: Christmas Ornament
This week we are sharing ideas for handcrafted ornaments.  I am always looking to add to my holiday ornaments.  (I think I may need a second tree. Shhhh....don't tell my husband.)


Supplies:
  • Surfaces: Pattern Paper, Card Stock and Corrugated Paper
  • Stamps: Tree and Sentiment (Hampton Art) and Grid (Unknown)
  • Color Mediums: Black Ink (StazOn), Embossing Ink and Embossing Powder, Red and Brown Chalk Ink, Black Pen and White Paint
  • Tools: Circle Die (Sizzix) and Tree Die (Hampton Art)
  • Other: Varnish, Clear Glitter, DIY Enamel Dots, Ribbon and Pop-Dots

Steps:
  1. Create enamel dots.  (See more information below.)  You can also use store bought dots.
  2. Cut scalloped circles from pattern paper and corrugated paper.  Add white paint to corrugated circle.
  3. Stamp and emboss the edges of the pattern paper circle.  Add red and brown ink to the edges.
  4. Layer circles together.
  5. Stamp tree onto card stock and cut with die.  Apply varnish medium and dust with clear glitter.  Allow time to dry.  Apply to circle dies using pop-dots.
  6. Add DIY enamel dots.
  7. Stamp and cut out sentiment.  Add to tree.
  8. Add ribbon to the top of the ornament.

DIY Enamel Dots
I have been wanted to try my hand at making enamel dots for some time.  I must admit, it is not as easy as they make it sound.  You can read my tips below.


You can melt Perler Beads to create your own enamel dots.  They are inexpensive and come in a variety of colors.

Please Note: Oven temperatures can vary greatly, so some trial and error may be required.  If the heat is too high the parchment paper will turn brown and discolor the beads.  And no matter how hard I tried, not all of the beads melted. 

Steps:
  1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
  3. Place Perler Beads onto baking sheet.  You can cut them in half to make a smaller dot or stack two to make a larger bead.
  4. Place in oven for 15 minutes.  If most of the beads are melted at the end of 15 minutes, increase temperature to 450 degrees for 5 minutes.  If most of the beads have not melted continue at 400 degrees until most of the beads of melted.
  5. Remove from oven and allow to cool. 
I must add that they do put of an odor during the melting process.  I may have lost a few brain cells in the process.  So if strong smells bother you.....I would stick with store bought dots.  Would I do it again?  I think I will.  But I will make sure to open the windows and let in some fresh air.

Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.
Jeri'

5 comments:

  1. I have done this before & yes they give off an oder. I've also done then in my toaster oven with great success as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done this before & yes they give off an oder. I've also done then in my toaster oven with great success as well

    ReplyDelete