I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

November 03, 2015

Project Inspiration: Great Uses for Letter Stickers or Being a Sticker Snob

Project Inspiration: Letter Stickers
Hey crafters! Shirley Pando here for another dose of Project Inspiration. Today we are talking letter stickers.

I have a confession to make. I kind of despise stickers. Yes, it's true. GASP! The word "stickers" reminds me of those cheesy looking things we used back in the old days of scrapbooking. I mean waaaayyy back. Back when there weren't many embellishment options. Back before the scrapbooking boom. Yeah, that far back! 

Now, many stickers have depth and color and are absolutely beautiful. But I still don't purchase many stickers. Most of the stickers I do have came in the paper packs I've purchased. And many of those still go unused. But, truth be told, the only sticker I really can tolerate was and always will be the letter sticker. ;-)




Ah, the letter sticker. It can be used for so many things! Really? Scrapbooking titles, subtitles...what else? What happens when you have used up all of the A's and E's and M's or when you are stuck with a bunch of Q, U, V, X, Y and Z's? I do have a friend who has a son named Zion and she has requested to friends on Facebook to send her all of their Z's! (Hi Melda!) But what about the rest of us? What do we do with those accumulating odd letters? Certainly there's got to be a way to use them? Or are they just destined for the garbage? Time to put on our thinking caps and really get creative!


Project #1 - Create Texture for Backgrounds

Letter Stickers Background

Letter Stickers Close Up

  • Step 1: Choose the substrate - Try cardboard, stretched canvas, tags, paper, etc.
  • Step 2: Gather left-over stickers and add to substrate with abandon!
  • Step 3: Coat stickers and substrate with gesso. Let dry.
  • Step 4: Add your favorite coloring medium such as acrylic paints, watercolor paints, Gelatos, etc.
  • Step 5: Use in your next home decor project , tags, or art journal.

Project #2 - Use Letters as a Mask
Here's a project I've made using several fonts of sticker letters to create an art journal page. A stenciled background was laid down, then stickers added, and finally a layer of white paint or gesso. Let it all dry and presto! When you remove the stickers, a simple, but beautiful art journal page or home decor canvas.

Be Still journal page

Got a ton of craft supplies, like me, and need to use up your junk? Make sure to check out my online workshop, "Creativity 365: Planner Workshop". Get using your stuff AND get organized, too! Win-win!



Or maybe you'd like to try your hand at art journaling? There's nothing to be  afraid of. I'll hold your hand the whole way in "Art Journaling for the Non-Expert". Let's do this!



There's a Video? You Bet Ya!

Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how Shirley made the masked letter art journal page in Project #2.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)



Your Turn
Do you love or hate stickers? Have a good way to use them? Please share with us so we can use up our junk!

Thanks for stopping by,
Shirley

4 comments:

  1. I have loads of letter stickers and love these ideas. I'll definitely try them out to try to use up my stash. And yes, stickers creep me out too as I was heavy into them during the Creative Memories Craze. sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sherri! Another sticker hater. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Shirley:

    I can't say one way or the other because I don't have them in the house and now that I have seen the textured background I really like the idea. Hum maybe a impromptu visit is in order for Michael's,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheepish, I didn't mean to enable, but if the shoe fits! ;-) Have fun shopping.

      Delete