I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

October 06, 2015

My 'current' favorite ways to use background stamps.

I currently have three drawers full of background stamps.  In my crafty world, they seem to come and go from popularity.  Sometimes I use them a lot and then I move on to something else.  I seem to have the crafting attention span of a squirrel.  :)

I suppose that comes from having too many bright and shiny things in my studio.  Always something new (or old as the case may be) to catch my attention.

Am I using them right now?  Read on to find out.



YES!  I am actually using them a lot right now.  I like to use them to create texture in my projects.  Currently, my two favorite ways to use background stamps are resists and partial images.

Background Stamps #1-Partial Stamping 
One of my favorite ways to use background stamps is for partial stamping.  I ink just a small and random area of the stamp and then stamp it.  It leaves the impression that the image is fading in and out.  I find this works best with unmounted stamp, it gives me more control over how much of the image I stamp.


Supplies:
  • Surfaces: Pattern paper, burlap paper and watercolor paper.
  • Stamps: Text background stamp.
  • Coloring: Ink, Paint, Distressed Stain and black pen.
  • Embellishments:  Cork arrow and flower, Prima flower (blue), tag, brad, ribbon, silk leaves, fall sticker and rhinestones.
Steps:
  1. Cut tag from pattern paper. Outline with black pen.
  2. Cut small tag using watercolor paper.  Apply stain.  Partially stamp with text background stamp.  Add brown paint to edges.
  3. Cut burlap paper into rectangle and layer onto to background tag.  Dry brush with brown paint.
  4. Layer watercolor tag onto background tag.
  5. Add desired embellishments. 
Background Stamps #2-Resist
My second favorite technique for using background stamps is to create a resist with them.  It works great with coloring mediums like Gelatos, spray ink or watercolor paints.



Supplies:
  • Surfaces: Card stock and watercolor paper.
  • Stamps: Clock and swirl background stamps, gifts and sentiment (Papertrey Ink).
  • Coloring: Gelatos, black ink, blue ink, embossing ink and clear embossing powder.
  • Tools: Circle punch.
  • Embellishments:  Clear glitter (Ranger), washi tape, Fluid Matte Medium and pop-dots.
Steps: 
  1. Stamp watercolor paper with background stamp using embossing ink.  Emboss with clear embossing powder.
  2. Apply Gelatos and blend into watercolor paper.
  3. Cut white strip of card stock.  Lightly stamp with clock background stamp.  Ink with blue ink.  Add to card front.
  4. Stamp gift image on green card stock and cut out using circle punch.  Add to clock paper.
  5. Stamp sentiment and cut out with circle punch.  Ink with blue ink.
  6. Apply Fluid Matte Medium to sentiment and dust with clear glitter.  Allow time to dry. 
  7. Create base card using green card stock and layer card front onto base card. 
  8. Once sentiment is dry, layer onto card front using pop-dots.

There's a Video? You Bet Ya!
Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how we made this week's project.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)



Your Turn
So what is your 'current' favorite way to use background stamps?

Until next time.....I am your crafty hostess and I hope you have a very crafty week.
Jeri'

6 comments:

  1. I like to take a background stamp and ink it randomly with different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too....it is a wonderful look. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  2. Not a way to use background stamps because I have never used them! I have some but.....

    I would like to make a comment on your videos. I love the content of them, but I hate, hate music backgrounds. I would much rather hear what you are doing and why. Just my opinion,. Please consider a voice over instead of music. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Sandy. Sometimes I just have nothing else to say.....I know hard to believe. :) Plus, some of the videos would be sooooooo long if I did not speed some parts up and that is where I add the music. But I will take your feedback into consideration.

      Delete
  3. Great project! I love the paint smudging with the fingers. You have to get inky, it's part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. I find my fingers to be my most valuable crafting/art tool. :)

      Delete