I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

September 01, 2015

Project Inspiration: Color Tools


When I first started paper crafting and stamping I tried to stay away from stamps that required me to color.

Don't know why....I probably did not feel confident using color mediums.  Afraid it would look at a child's coloring book. (Hey, did you know that adult color books are huge right now....but that is another blog post.)

But I fear no crafting/art supplies!



There is a wide variety of coloring tools on the market.  In my studio I have:
  1. Fantastix by Tsukineko:  These are one of my favorite coloring tools.  They are meant to be used with ink, but I use them with a variety of coloring mediums.  They are featured on this week's project.
  2. Craft Nib Holder by Ranger:  This is very similar to Fantastix, but they do not hold as much ink or water. 
  3. Dove Blender Pen: Great for watercolors or any water soluble pencils. Plus it is refillable.
  4. Tombow Blender Pen:  This is a dual tip pen, so the fine detail tip is nice to have.  It is not refillable.
  5. Adirondack Alcohol Ink Fillable Pen: You can fill this with alcohol ink, but you can also fill it with alcohol blending solution or dove blending solution.  It has a wide barrel, great if you have problems with a smaller pen barrel.
  6. Aqua or Water Brushes:  You can fill these will water to use with watercolors or water soluble pencils.  I also have a set that I have filled with Dylusions Ink Spray.  
  7. Inkssentials/Ranger Blending Tools:  Originally these only came in rectangles, but now you can also get them in small circles.  I use the rectangles for applying color to a larger surface, such as a card background.
  8. Color Box Ink Stylus:  This is my favorite ink pad applicator.  The stylus makes it feel like a paint brush in your hands.  
I am sure there are others, like spongers, paint brushes, etc.  Be sure to share you favorite.  I have heard that the Stampin' Up blending pen is great, but I have yet to try it.

Project Inspiration: Halloween Tag
Feeling the Halloween spirit again this week. :)

Supplies: Fantastix, Derwent Inktense Pencils, Watercolor Paper, Stamps (Dylusions and Inque Botique), Embossing Pen, White Embossing Powder, Waterproof Black Ink, Sentiment, Ink, Pouring Medium (or other dimensional adhesive), Pop-Dots, Black Pen and Glazing Medium.

Steps: 
  1. Cut tag from watercolor paper. (I used 140lb, cold-press watercolor paper.)
  2. Stamp images in waterproof black ink in a color block arrangement.
  3. Add lines using embossing pen and white embossing powder.
  4. Color wash the tag background.
  5. Add additional color to images and background.  Use Fantastix, or similar coloring tool, to activate watercolor pencils.
  6. Ink edges of tag with black ink.
  7. Once dry add two coats of glazing medium.
  8. Print sentiment.  Outline with black pen and add ink.  Add sentiment to tag using pop-dots.
  9. Add Pouring Medium to sentiment.  (You can use any dimensional adhesive.  Pouring Medium is one of my favorites.)
Video Time!
See how I made this week's project in full detail.





Interested on learning more about watercolors!
I mentioned in the video that I have a new class starting this fall. In November we will be exploring watercolors.


Like what you see?

Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and you will receive our weekly challenge and process video.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)



Your Turn
I shared my favorite coloring tools.  I would love to know what you can't live without. :)

Happy Crafting,
Jeri'

6 comments:

  1. Jeri - I really love this tag. What fun! You've inspired me to get inky today - didn't have to push too hard, though - :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome....that is always for goal. :)

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! I'm pulling out those tools and getting to it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see, what I can't live without? ?? That's tough for me, there's SO many items that I LOVE to use!LOL! I guess it would have to be my distress inks. You can do SO MUCH with them!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are one of my favorite items too. Since I often purge my supplies, there is not much of anything in my craft room that I could live without......but my husband would disagree. :)

      Delete