I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

September 15, 2015

Project Inspiration: Brayers


"I don't use (insert tool, product, techniques) because it never looks right, or it looks like a beginner."

Have you said/thought this?  You are not alone.  I hear this all the time from my students.

While I have mastered a large number of techniques and tools, there is always more to learn.  So what does it look like when I attempt a new technique?




Well....it looks like a newbie did. LOL!  And that is kind of the point.  When you look at someone's work with a technique/product/tool we often see the end result of lots of practice.  There is truly only ONE way to become an expert at something........PRACTICE!  There is no shortcut.  It does not matter how many videos I watch or blogs I read.  Nothing replaces the act of doing.

This week I wanted to explore a tool I rarely use.  I picked the brayer.  I use it from time to time, but never for applying ink.  In this week's project you will see my use it for the 1st time.  I did not practice before hand.  (And it shows.)  I have much to learn.

Project Inspiration: Brayers
This week I went back to creating items for my Project Inspiration wall and I kept it very simple, which is why there are two projects this week.  I love this set of Kaleidacolor ink.  It reminds of being on the beach.


Supplies: Brayer, Card Stock, Stencil, Embossing Ink, White Embossing Powder, Ink (Kaleidacolor), Black Pen, Letter Stamps and Black Ink.

Steps:
  1. Apply embossing ink through stencil.  Add white embossing powder and emboss.
  2. Ink up brayer and apply ink to ATC.
  3. Doodle around the edge of the ATC with a black pen.
  4. Create label with letter stamps and add to ATC.
Project #2-Fall Tag
Why stop with just one project, when there is still so much to learn!  I like this technique so much I may be pulling out the embossing folders to whip out a few cards.


Supplies: Brayer, Tag, Card Stock, Ink (Kaleidacolor), Embossing Folder, Sentiment Stamp (Just Rite Stampers), Oval Die (Spellbinders), Black Ink, Trim, Ribbon and Flowers.

Steps: 
  1. Using brayer, apply ink to embossing folder.  Place tag on folder and emboss.
  2. Apply additional brown ink to tag and embossed areas.
  3. Stamp sentiment onto card stock.  Cut with die and ink.
  4. Layer trim and ribbon onto tag.
  5. Add flowers.
  6. Add sentiment tag.
Video Time!
See how I made this week's projects in full detail.




Like what you see?

Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and you will receive our weekly challenge and process video.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)



Your Turn!
What technique/tool are you currently trying to learn or perfect?

Happy Crafting!
Jeri

2 comments:

  1. Jeri, enjoyed your brayer card, LOVE. LOVE, LOVE your tag.. very elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. It was so fun trying something new. :)

      Delete