I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

July 13, 2015

The Basics: Water Soluble Oil Pastels and Using a Sample Journal

The Basics: Water Soluble Oil Pastels

Hi there...Shirley Pando here for another week of crafty inspiration. Are you like me and have to have every new craft supply that comes out? Well, I admit, that WAS me just a short time ago. But I have since turned over a new leaf and am limiting my craft shopping. OK, my husband is really behind that one! ;-) But I am still left with quite an accumulation of items that need to get used.

One such item is my Portfolio Series Water Soluble Oil Pastels. Truth be told, I only purchased them because they were the "IT" thing to have that week. UGH! Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!






Water Soluble Oil Pastels

Traditional oil pastels are pure pigment in a fossil wax with mineral oil as a binder. They are acid free, will never yellow over time, won't crack, will never harden, and can be mixed with other mediums. But to blend oil pastels you need to use a solvent. Those of us wanting to "go green" and use only healthy products might not like that.

The beauty of using water soluble oil pastels is that they work similarly to traditional oil pastels, but are blended with water. NO more need for a solvent. They are creamy sticks of bright, vivid colors that are as easy to use as scribbling with a crayon. Ah...the joys of being a kindergartner! You can blend two or more colors together in dry techniques or do wet blending watercolor techniquesWater soluble oil pastels are sold by several companies with slightly differing names. I chose Portfolio Series as they are very economical. (At least that was a good decision!)

Using a Sample Journal

Check out this video, below, to see how I've done some easy experiments with these pastels in my art journal. Jeri and I always recommend creating test pages in a sample book with any new or not-so-new products you have. That way you can see how they handle, what they can do, and how you might want to use them in your next project. And mostly because you can refer back to those pages when you forget what you've already done before! (That would be me!)




Check back tomorrow,  7/13/2015, to see a page I've created in my art journal using Portfolio Series Water Soluble Oil Pastels.

Have you always wanted to start an art journal but feel intimidated by all the gorgeous pages you see on Pinterest and Flickr? Do you think to yourself, "I can't draw, I can't paint, I don't make art as well as (fill in the black)?" UGH! Sometimes I feel the same way. But don't let that stop you from beginning your journey into art journaling. Come join me for my online workshop, "Art Journaling for the Non-Expert". Class begins Tuesday, July 14th. Register on or before the start date and take $5 off regular price.



And if you are confused by the vast array of acrylic mediums, you've got to join Jeri and I for "Mastering the Mediums".



What About You?

Do you have any tools or products that you still have yet to learn what they do?

No comments:

Post a Comment