I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

July 07, 2015

Project Inspiration: Having Fun with Gelatos

Everyday Moodligs: Gelatos

I will admit, Gelatos are one of those items I purchased and never used.  They sat for a long time, gathering dust.  To be honest, I am not even sure why I purchased them.  Probably looked cool.  I mean how many supplies have we purchased just cuz they looked cool. (Surely I am not the only one.)

So what happened when I finally pulled them out of their hiding space?  Read on to find out.

Once I finally had a chance to sit down and play with Gelatos I was impressed with their versatility.   I also realized that I had a lot to learn to get the most out of them and the best results.

So lots of testing, learning, reading and watching eventually turned into a class.  Imagine that!  So if you want to learn even more about Gelatos, check out the class info below.

What are Gelatos?
Great question! Gelatos are compact acid-free pigment sticks glide on creamy smooth for vibrant color and coverage. All Gelatos blend easily with or without water. Try this unique medium on paper, canvas, or wood! (This description comes directly from the Faber-Castell website.)  They are odorless, acid free and light fast.
    What makes them so versatile?
    Gelatos offer a lot of coloring versatility because you can use them both wet and dry.  They come in a wide variety of colors and they are easy to store....a big plus in my world.

    Project Inspiration: Gelatos
    Truth is....I did not use Gelatos for my projects.  I know, I know, how wrong is that?! I actually used a similar product from Crayola.  Crayola Portfolio Series Oil Pastels are a wonderful, and less expensive, alternative to Gelatos.  They also come in darker colors, so they were a perfect match for my tag art project.

    Everyday Moodligs: Gelatos

    Supplies: Pattern paper tag, Gelatos or other water soluble oil pastels, water, Prima flowers, clear gesso, border stamp, brown ink, embossing ink, brown embossing powder, brads and scrap of pattern paper.

    Steps:
    1. Apply two coats of clear gesso to tag.  Prepping your surface is important for this project.  It protects the paper and makes the Gelatos easier to blend.
    2. Add water to the top of tag.  Color top of tag with Gelatos.  Spray with additional water, allowing the color to flow down the tag. Allow time to dry.
    3. Add torn, scrap of pattern paper to bottom of tag.
    4. Ink edges of tag with brown ink.
    5. Stamp border stamp on left edge of tag with embossing ink.  Emboss with brown embossing powder.  I used Distressed embossing powder.
    6. Use Gelatos to add color to the Prima flowers.  Gently blend with your fingers and a small amount of water.
    7. Add brads to flower centers and adhere to tag.
    8. Print quote and add to tag.

    There's a Video? You Bet Ya!

    Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

    Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how we made this week's project.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)


    Want to learn even more about Gelatos?
    Join me as we explore this art medium in depth. We will explore both dry and wet options. My three week Gelatos workshop starts July 9th.



    Your Turn!
    Do you own Gelatos?  Do you use them?  What is your favorite way to use them?  Your fellow readers appreciate your participation.

    Thanks for stopping by,
    Jeri'

    1 comment:

    1. I just use them like watercolor pencils, bought them awhile back cause they looked best.

      ReplyDelete