I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

June 23, 2015

Project Inspiration: Crafting with the Humble Sponge!

Project Inspiration: The  Humble Sponge







Hi folks, Shirley Pando here for this week's Project Inspiration.

The poor sponge. It is relegated to washing dishes, cleaning counters, and disinfecting bathrooms. YUCK! But we can easily take that humble instrument of work into the playful world of art. Be free, sponge, be free!

This week, I'm using 3 different sponges and 3 bottles of cheap craft paint. I bet you have some similar items lurking in your house, too. Come join me to create three totally different cards.

Check out the three cards I made this week. When you limit your supplies you stretch your creativity and can come up with some interesting projects.

I love to stitch on paper. If you'd like to try but are afraid, do it anyway! It brings a nice textural element to your cards and other paper projects. Check out my 10 Tips for Stitching on Paper, located on my personal blog.

Card #1 "just be you"

"Just Be You" card 

Supplies:
Card base (5" x 7"), cardstock, painted background paper, ribbon, sticker, feather, sewing machine and thread, photo corners, glue runner (ATG), glue dot, foam dots

Tip: If you don't have a photo corner in the color you need (or any other supply for that matter), paint it!


Card #2 "Birthday Greetings"

"Birthday Greetings" card

Supplies: 
Card base (5" X 7"), cardstock, painted background paper, butterfly hand held punch, ribbon, sentiment stamp, stamping ink, glue runner (ATG), glue dot, foam dots


 Card #3 "Happy Birthday"



Supplies: 
Card base (5" X 7"), paper doily, cardstock, painted background paper, sentiment stamp, stamping ink, bling, sewing machine and thread, colored pencil, glue runner (ATG), fluid matte medium or tacky glue, glue dot, foam dots




Want to know how I created my projects? There's a Video!
Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how we made this week's projects.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)








Make sure to check out the BRAND NEW online workshop...now open for enrollment...

"Mastering the Mediums" with Jeri Parks and Shirley Pando
Mastering the Mediums online workshop

Acrylic mediums can be so confusing. There are so many to choose from: Gel Medium, Fluid Medium, Gesso, Crackle Paste, Molding Paste, matter, glossy, etc. What are they for? Which should you use?Which brand is best? Can something else be substituted? Can someone just cut to the chase and speak in plain English?

If you are confused by the many mediums available, have no fear. Shirley Pando and Jeri Parks are here to help you make sense of a most confusing subject. Come learn what each type of medium is for and which you may want to use in your next mixed media project (or card or tag or scrapbook page).

Over four lessons, we will demonstrate the pros and cons of 13 different acrylic mediums, additives, paint, and applicators. We will explain how to use each product, now to apply it to various surfaces, possible substitutions for the product, and share our experiences with them.

Please Note: We understand that most students will probably not have on hand all 13 of the mediums we will be using for this workshop. When purchasing new items, we encourage you to start with "The Essentials" first, as noted on the supply list. As the class progresses, you can decide which additional mediums you would like to purchase.

Course Start Date: June 25th
Course Length: 4 Weeks/4 Lessons
Price: $30 Early enrollment price. Price will increase to $35 on June 26th.




2 comments:

  1. Cool cards, Shirley! I enjoyed your video. I use a cut-up kitchen sponge with my Distress Inks. I have the DI tool now but I am comfortable using the pieces of kitchen sponge so I keep using them. I like how you used the various sponges to create your backgrounds. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I loved how limiting what I use stretched my creativity. I usually don't like making cards, but lately it has become a joy. :-)

      Delete