I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

May 27, 2015

Comparing five different dimensional adhesives, including Glossy Accents and Diamond Glaze.




I am on a mission to find the best dimensional adhesive.  Come along as I share my results.







I have long used Glossy Accents by Ranger to create glossy, dimensional effects.  Over the years I have developed a love/hate relationship with this product.  I hate that the applicator consistently clogs.  So I have made it my mission to find a better option.

Just in case you don't know what a dimensional adhesive it, it a thick liquid adhesive that dries clear, but holds it shape.  Generally is dries to a glossy finish.  Some of the ones I tested dried more clear than others. Some had a slightly yellow tint.

I chose to test five different brands: Glossy Accents, Diamond Glaze, Dimensional Magic, Paper Glaze and Pouring Medium. (There are others available, but a girl only needs so many dimensional adhesives.) I have listed the results below.  I have also included a video and reviews each adhesive in greater detail.  Finally, I have included some finish projects using dimensional adhesives.

Please note.  These are my opinions.  I am not paid by any of these companies.  Prices are an average of what I found online.  You might find a better deal, especially if you use a coupon. :)  And finally, be sure not to shake the product before use as it will increase the chances of bubbles.

Product Overview
Diamond Glaze from Judikins

Pros: Thick and sticky.  Great for attaching small items.  Mixable with ink.

Cons: Applicator clogs and needs to be unclogged for each use.  Slightly yellow color.  Lots of little tiny bubbles.

Cost: $6 for 2oz.
Dimensional Magic from Mod Podge

Pros: Easy flow applicator.  Did not clog.  Dried clear.

 Cons: None at this time.  Might be a bit harder to find.  I purchased mine on Amazon.

Cost:  $6 for 2oz.
Glossy Accents from Ranger

Pros: Thick and sticky.  Great for attaching small items. Easy to find.

Cons: Applicator clogs and needs to be re-opened for each use.  Slightly yellow color.  Lots of little tiny bubbles.

Cost: $7 for 2oz.
Paper Glaze from Aleene's

 Pros: Easy flow applicator.  Did not clog.  Dried clear.

Cons: Lead to a bit more warping of the paper.

Cost: $5 for 2 oz.
Pouring Medium from Liquitex

Pros: Easy flow applicator.  Did not clog.  Dried clear. Excellent price per ounce. Mixable with paint and ink.

Cons: Need to transfer it to a writer paint bottle for smaller projects. (Which is most of what I do.)

Cost: $23 for 32oz. (Price from Dick Blick.)



  


Video Review




Finish Projects
I used dimensional adhesive on each heart for this tag.  The base tag came from my Big Book of Backgrounds.  This is the background I wanted to lighten.  I added additional layers to lighten the tag even more.  Love the faux torn paper effect.....I promise to share that technique in a future post.



For this tag I used dimensional adhesive to add the beads to the flower.



Your Turn
I hope you enjoyed my journey to find the best dimensional adhesive for my projects.  Do you have a favorite?  I would love to know if you use dimensional adhesives and what your favorite techniques are.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jeri'

10 comments:

  1. Very informative! The only one of these I knew about was Glossy Accents. I did not know these products were similar - I have Glossy Accents and I recently bought Modge Podge Dimensional Magic (it was in a clearance bin) but I didn't know what it was used for. I won't open it yet since I already have GA. Thank you! This was a great review and comparison. I love your videos, Jeri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am like you....I did not know what was available other the Glossy Accents for a long time. I have definitely found some new favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! More to come on that topic tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  4. The one you missed, Glastique by Sweet Stamps/Piccolo is my favorite. It stays dimensional, has few to no air bubbles and stays crystal clear over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Candy. I know there are others so I hope more readers will share their experiences. I had to limit myself to five.....or my budget limited me to five. LOL! :)

      Delete
  5. I have GA and DG, but prefer to use CRYSTAL LAQUER as it is a bit thicker and mounds quicker and higher, and is easier to apply, does not yellow. I have started using a FINELINE applicator with my PVA glues so they never clog...will try to use my Crystal LAQUER with one of the FINELINE bottles...may need to get a medium applicator if the fine one is too small...will see how it goes.
    Thanks for the critique!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding your thoughts and information. I did read about the fineline applicator, but have yet to purchase it. I actually like the ones that were a bit thinner, I found them easier to manipulate for the projects I used them for. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  6. very informative, love you share with all of us. thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie. I have become soooooo addicted to dimensional adhesives. I think I may need an intervention soon. :)

      Delete