I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

April 21, 2015

Project Inspiration: Flower Stencils



I know the saying is April showers bring May showers, but we couldn't wait.  :)

This week I am pulling out the flower stencils.






What?! You have no flower stencils!  Truth be told, I only have one or two in my stash.  I know I have one more purchased years ago, but it has gone missing.  I am certain I will find it next week.....when I don't want to use it.

But I won't let lost supplies stop me.  As my dear friend Shirley Pando often reminds me.....you can make a stencil out of almost anything.  And she is right.  More on that in a moment.

Project Inspiration: Flower Stencils
The base of my ATC came from my Big Book of Backgrounds (I will be sharing more about my Big Book of Backgrounds in the coming days.)  I decided I was tired of messy this week.  While I love paint, ink and watercolors......sometimes I hate the mess.  So this week I turned to dry coloring mediums, including chalks and Pan Pastels.


Supplies:  Pre-made background (watercolor paper and ink), texture or modeling paste, stencil, palette knife, chalk and/or Pan Pastels, rhinestones and washi tape.


Flower ATC Steps
  1. Create background of your choice for the base of your ATC.
  2. Lay stencil on ATC and apply texture/modeling paste using palette knife.  Allow time to dry.  I let mine dry overnight.
  3. Apply chalk and/or Pan Pastels to raised areas.  I used the Fantastix by Tsukineko.  They are an awesome coloring tool.  I promise to talk more about them in coming weeks.
  4. Embellish as desired. 

Flower Tag
As I mentioned, I was limited in the number of flower stencils I had to work worth. (Hard to believe I know, but I did resist the urge to go out and buy more.) So I decided to make my own using an old Sizzix border die.  I just used paper and I again used it to apply texture paste to my tag.

You can also make amazing stencils using the Cricut or Silhouette.  So don't limit yourself to only those stencils available on the market.  With a little time you can make something truly unique that you can use over and over again.


Remember the faux metal flower we made last week?  I used the same process for my frame in this project.  I colored it with Perfect Pearls and alcohol ink.  I love the aged effect it gives the frame.


After the flowers have dried I highlighted them with paint and colored pencils.  To finish them off, I added a little bling.

Learning More

Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies. 

Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how we made this week's projects.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)


Your Turn
Have you ever made your own stencil?  What materials/tools did you use?  Were you happy with the outcome?  Your fellow readers would love to know.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jeri'

3 comments:

  1. Just want to say Thank you for all the time you are spending showing how to use supplies, I am so thrilled I found you, I can't wait to see and learn what's next.........thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy. Believe it or not, I learn just as much too. :)

      Delete
  2. Just want to say Thank you for all the time you are spending showing how to use supplies, I am so thrilled I found you, I can't wait to see and learn what's next.........thanks!

    ReplyDelete