I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

April 15, 2015

Project Inspiration-DIY Metal Flowers



I have noticed a trend lately.  A trend to get back to handcrafted embellishments.  I must say I am lovin' it.  I had forgotten how fulfilling and relaxing it can be to create a custom embellishment.

This week Project Inspiration continues our look at flowers with DIY Metal Flowers.



If you have been around paper crafting for awhile then you remember the days when very few supplies were available.  Like next to nothing.  So everything was handmade.....for better or for worse.  But as the industry grew (exploded really) we now have oodles and oodles of pre-made embellishments to choose from.  Don't get me wrong, I love pre-made embellishments.  But sometimes you just want to get your hands dirty.

Like everything else, trends come and go and come back again.  Which leads me back to handmade embellishments.  This time around we have so many more options to choose from when designing and creating our own embellishments.  Like the metal flowers below.  Sticky back metal sheets?  Embossing folders?  Those did not exist 10 years ago.  (OK, you could buy adhesive backed metal tape at the hardware store and you could have used an embossing stencil, but you know what I mean.)

So this time around our designs look so much more interesting and unique.  More 'artful', as the case may be.  I find the possibilities endless and intriguing. It is a lot more fun when we choose to DIY instead of being forced to because something is does not exist.  This week I encourage to you try your hand at making it homemade.

Project Inspiration: Metal Flowers


Supplies:  Pattern paper, metal sheet (QuicKutz), embossing folders, fabric, denim, stamp, white embossing powder and ink, flower dies, chalk, card stock, black pen and brad.

This year I am also working on my handwriting and using more of it.  So I hand wrote my label.  It is a start, but I have a long way to go.  I know I will never get better if I don't practice, practice, practice.


DIY Metal Flower Steps:  
  1. Cut metal sheet with flower dies.  This needs to be sticky backed metal.  I used QuicKutz, but Ink Essentials also makes one.  Or you can purchase metal tape at your local hardware store.
  2. Once your flowers are cut, emboss them with an embossing folder.
  3. Remove the paper to reveal the adhesive.
  4. Coat the flower with chalk using a coloring tool or make-up sponge.
Learning More

Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies.

Subscribe below and we will send you this week's process video.  Find out exactly how we made this week's projects.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)



 Interesting in learn more about handmade embellishments? Check out my brand new workshop Paper Piecing Rediscovered.

NEW! Paper Piecing Rediscovered

Workshop State Date: April 23, 2015
Length: 3 weeks
Early Enrollment Special: $15


Your Turn
So do you love making your own embellishments?  Have you always been DIY or are you just discovering it?
Jeri'


4 comments:

  1. I love your metal flower Jeri. And the trend towards making your own embellishments again. I often buy pre-made things with the idea of using them as inspiration for making something similar myself. The problem then is to remember to use up the pre-made ones so they don't just accumulate LOL. I absolutely prefer having control over the colour, shape, texture and size of my embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I do the same thing, as I find my supplies are often my best inspiration. They make me want to play. :) You might try just taking a picture for inspiration. Or downloading a photo from the web.

      Delete
  2. It’s amazing how you were able to make use of those metal sheets, and turn it into a lovely piece of art. Though it seems easy to make, not everyone can be as creative as you are. Thanks for sharing this lovely piece with us. Have a great day!


    Rosemary Bailey @ Wabi Iron & Steel Corp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. I am so happy you enjoy the project. :)

      Delete