I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

March 03, 2015

Project Inspiration: Exploring Vellum

Everyday Moodlings-Exploring Vellum

Last month we explored inks.  In March we will turn our journey towards surfaces.  Paper would seem like an obvious choice, but this blog is about using supplies we have forgotten.  I image most of us use paper every time we step into our studios.  So instead I opted to choose vellum as our 1st surface to explore.

Vellum has been around for centuries.  Originally made from calf skin it has some unique properties.  It is translucent and has a much longer shelf life than paper.  The vellum you have in your craft room is most likely not made from calf skin.  Yet it still retains many of the same properties, making it a fun surface to work with.

You can use vellum in a number of ways, including:
  • Toning down busy/bright paper.
  • Embossing, both heat and dry embossing.
  • Stamping on it.
  • Color it will markers, paint and/or ink.
  • Printing on it.

Project Inspiration: ATC with Embossed Vellum
This is one of my favorite ways to use vellum.  I used white embossing powder on my stamped image and colored the backside of the image with ink.  Tim Holtz Cracked Pistachio to be specific.  To see exactly how I made this ATC card be sure to sign up for our weekly videos. 

Everyday Moodlings-Exploring Vellum

Supplies: Vellum, pattern paper, corrugated paper, paint, ink, embossing ink, white embossing powder, paper flower (Prima) and brad.

Project #2: Scrapbook Page using Velum Quote
Once I knew we would be using vellum, my thoughts immediately turned to some old vellum quote books I have in my stash.  I found the perfect quote to add to the scrapbook page below.



Everyday Moodlings-Exploring Vellum

Everyday Moodlings-Exploring Vellum

Supplies: Card stock, washi tape, staples and vellum quote (DCWV).


 Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies.

Subscribe below and we will send you our weekly video, full of ideas on this week's topic. You will get to see exactly how I created this week's projects. And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)

Subscribe Today!

Your Turn
Do you have a favorite way to use vellum?  Share it with your fellow crafters.

I will be back later in the week with even more inspiration.  Until then......happy crafting.
Jeri'


2 comments:

  1. I like using scraps of vellum for creating my own embellishments. I usually use vellum to tone down too busy/bright paper using it as an overlay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful way to use vellum that I had long since forgotten about. I wish there was some way to remember all I know and recall it when needed. But alas, I have not learned how to do that. :) But I do I will be sure to share.

      Delete