I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

Ink Essentials

March 31, 2015

Project Inspiration: 4 Ways to Create with Fabric!

Hi crafters, Shirley Pando here for another inspiring way to use your stash. This week it's all about using FABRIC as a canvas for your art.

Raise your hand if you love fabric? I love paper, I do, I do, but fabric has been a favorite of mine for quite some time, as well.  Yes, usually we associate fabric with sewing, but there is so much more you can do with it. Let's take a look!




4 Ways to Create with Fabric



For this week's projects I have created four tags using four different methods. To create these tags you can use most any fabric. I usually purchase plenty of Duck Cloth (similar to canvas) or muslin (cheap!). I always have a good stash of it in my craft room. Because fabric is not as stiff as paper is, you can use an interfacing or chipboard as a base for the tag.  Used dryer sheets can be colored with most paints. I also keep a stash of used and dyed Shout Color Catcher sheets. Keep your scraps and selvages for other projects, too.



Tag #1: Stamped Fabric
Stamped Fabric Tag
Supplies:



Tag #2: Cut Fabric

Cut Image Fabric Tag
Supplies:

  • Fabric with large image such as a bird, flower, etc. (I got mine from a garage sale!)
  • Fabric for base tag
  • Chipboard as stabilizer, optional
  • Adhesive, wet glue and pop dots
  • Stamps 
  • Ink 
  • Detail scissors
  • Trims and ribbons
  • Sewing machine and thread, optional
  • Embellishments – (I used Ranger's Liquid Pearls in Pumpkin)


Tag #3: Free Motion Stitched
Free Motion Stitched Tag
Supplies:
  • Fabric for base tag (mine is about 3-1/2” x 8-1/2”) I've used some monoprinted fabric I made using my Gelli Arts Gel Printing Plate. Make sure to register for my workshop, "The Art of the Gelli Plate". Class starts Tuesday April 28th.
  • Fabric scraps
  • Stabilizer
  • Sewing machine, free motion or darning foot
  • Ribbons or fibers



Tag #4: Printable Fabric
Printed Fabric Tag
Supplies:
  • Inkjet Printable fabric (find this in your office supply store, online, or the office section of Walmart). Some brands are Avery, June Tailor, Jacquard, C Jenkins. Read the package as some are sew-in and some are fusible. Leave a comment, below, if you have questions about this.
  • Clip Art image
  • Fabric scraps
  • Trims and ribbons
  • Sewing machine, optional
  • Chipboard
  • Acrylic paint and brush


Interested in seeing the process video which shows how I created the Printable Fabric Tag? All you need to do is make sure you subscribe to our newsletter. It's the only way you can see it. The video will go out in Thursday's newsletter (04/02/2015). No April fools here! A FREE ink workshop AND weekly process videos? SWEET!





50 Challenges in 2015

Need a "support group" to help you use the supplies you have on hand? Here at Everyday Moodlings we have started a Facebook group dedicated to that very thing.  WOW!  A Support group just for you!! (and me, too!)

If you would like an extra push to start using all of those supplies you are hiding from your husband, then join us.  We will be posting a new challenge each week. Then together we can post our ideas, inspiration and completed projects.  It will be fun, I promise!  Join the 50 Challenges in 2015 Facebook group.



AND, if you love fabric like I do, make sure to check out two of my Self-Paced online workshops,
"Images on Fabric" (Crafting with images printed with your Ink Jet Printer) and "Fabric-ations" (General Crafting with Fabric). With either workshop you are able to work at your own pace and have 24/7 access to the classroom.



So I do hope you'll join me this week using FABRIC in your projects. It doesn't matter if you prefer to create cards, ATC's, scrapbooking layouts, tags, or something totally different. Pick something and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment