I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

February 03, 2015

Alcohol and Crafting

Exactly one time.  That is the number of times I have tried to be creative while enjoying an alcoholic beverage.  It did not turn out well.  Let's just say my work was less than stellar.....and that was only after one glass of wine. :)



That is not to say I don't enjoy a martini from time to time.  But not in my studio.  In my studio I turn to a different type of alcohol.

Challenge #2: Alcohol Inks
And that leads us to our 2nd challenge for 2015......alcohol inks. Don't have any alcohol inks.  Before you run out and purchase your first set, you could also use a solvent ink pad like StazOn or alcohol markers.

Alcohol inks are a great addition to any craft room as they allow you to work on nonporous surfaces like metal, class, acrylic and more.  But if I am truly honest, they are one of my most forgotten products in my studio.  Maybe it is because I don't work on nonporous surfaces very often.  Maybe the techniques are not something I gravitate to.  Who knows, this week I plan to pull them out and play a bit.  Hopefully I won't forget them again for another 12 months.


Everyday Moodlings
Alcohol inks come in a rainbow of colors.



Project #1: Coloring clear die-cuts.

Everyday Moodlings-Alcohol Inks

Supplies:  Alcohol Inks, blending tool, die-cut (Maya Roads), stamp (Fiskars and Tim Holtz), ink, die (Spellbinders), card stock, ribbon, pearls and brads.


Project #2: Glossy Paper Background

Everyday Moodlings-Alcohol Inks

 Supplies:  Alcohol Ink, blending solution, blending tool, card stock, glossy paper, woven paper (DWCV), stamp (Hero Arts), Stazon Ink, black ink, baker's twine, banner die (Spellbinders), rhinestones and pop-dots.

Project #3: Alcohol Ink and Embossed Metal
This is probably my favorite project from this week.  If you would like to know how I made this background, be sure to subscribe to our process videos.  You can find the link below.

Everyday Moodlings-Alcohol Inks

Supplies:  Alcohol Inks, metal sheets (QuicKutz-you could also use plumber's tape), gesso, standing block, black and white ink, embossing folder, stamp (sentiment), bottle cap, epoxy sticker, dies (Papertrey Ink), circle punch, card stock and ribbon.

 Project Inspiration-Alcohol Inks
I used alcohol inks both to color the image and the edges of this ATC card.



Supplies:  Alcohol Inks, blending solution, butterfly stamp (Martha Stewart), transparency (I actually used left over product packaging and cut it to ATC size, then layered it over the pattern paper), pattern paper, white paint, Stazon ink and brads.

Subscribe to our process videos.

 Looking for even more inspiration? I know, I know that is a silly question.  Who doesn't want tips and ideas for using our crafty supplies.

Subscribe below and we will send you our weekly video, full of ideas on this week's topic.  And the best part....it will come right to your inbox. :)

Subscribe Today!

7 comments:

  1. Jeri, I really enjoyed your alcohol inks video! What a fun technique! I don't have any of the metal you used but your card was fabulous! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it is a really fun technique with a ton of different applications.

      Delete
  2. I love alcohol inks. I taught classes for years on using them. One of my favorite things to do either them is to color beads, or beaded fringe. I have colored porcelain ornaments, more votive holders than I can count, oodles of cards, and it is especially fun to use metal furnace duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I have only touched the tip of the iceberg with alcohol inks. Metal furnace type is one my favorite hardware store items to use in my studio. Just so everyone knows we are NOT talking about gray duct tape, that is totally different and not actually used on ducts at all. Metal furnace tape is a very thin layer of metal that has an adhesive back. I have a whole roll in my studio. :)

      Delete
  3. I used alcohol ink over the weekend to color paper pulp. I also love making my own color mist with alcohol ink and water. I use my alcohol markers all the time especially in my air brush. Stazon ink seems to be my go to ink lately. Especially since I've been doing a lot of stamping this year on thin plastic or embossing thin plastic and then coloring it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have been able to stay away from Copics....I only have a couple. I just am not that in to coloring at this time. But I do love Stazon and handmade misting sprays. :)

      Delete