I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

January 30, 2015

Beginning Again-Week #1....The Streak



In 2010 I read The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life   Ok....I know what you are thinking.  I thought this blog was about crafting not weight loss.  Just keep reading, I promise it does relate to crafting. :)


The heart of the book is the idea that the reader should decide what they can do even on their busiest day.  The author picked 15 minutes.  Every day he committed to 15 minutes of exercise, then he recorded it so he could see how many days in a row he accomplished his goal.  (I do the same thing.  Every morning, 15 minutes on my bike before breakfast.  After a few months it becomes a habit that I don't even have to think about. Like going to the bathroom and having my morning coffee.)

That got me thinking.  Could I use the same process to other aspects of my life?  Could I create new habits that really stuck?  So I embarked on a 2nd streak for adding creativity to my life.  I committed to 15 minutes a day.  Some days I only managed 15 minutes but most days it was just a springboard to a longer creativity session.

The Trick is Getting Started
That experiment taught me a lot.  Waiting until I have an hour or more to play or until my space is clean or until inspiration hits does not work for me. (Not saying it does not work for other, but not for me.)  For me, my creative juices start flowing when I just sit down and start.  When I do SOMETHING.....ANYTHING.

I was able to keep the streak going for almost a year.  I was not perfect, there were days I missed.  (Something called life got in the way. I thought about removing life, but that seemed like an extreme option.)

Then life really got in the way.....in the form of two moves.

Starting Again
This year I have decided to begin the streak again in an effort to set a creativity habit.  (In case you have not figured it out, I am a bit obsessed with habits.  How they are formed, set, broken and more.  That will be my next career.)

Will I be able to commit to 15 minutes every day?  Oh how I wish, but probably not.  As I have already mentioned, I have a broken arm.  And there is still that damn thing called life.  But if I can get 5 out of 7 days I will call that a success.

The hardest part about forming this habit is finding the time, as in what time of day, is most effective.  I will be sharing my results and I hope you do too.  Every Friday I will post an update of my streak.

The Streak-Week #1

Everyday Moodlings

This week I focused most of my creative time on class samples for our FREE workshop Ink Essentials.  Thankfully those samples will be used in a couple of entryway frames I am working on. (One more NUT off the list.)  Often class samples are never used and just sit in a basket....this is a nice change. :)  My streak started again on Monday so I am on Day #4 as of Thursday when I took the photos.
  • Day #1: Monday Planning Session-Yes this is creative time for me. :)
  • Day #2: Tag art for Ink Essentials
  • Day #3: Tag art for Ink Essentials
  • Day #4: Summer 2014 Mini-Album
New Products Used:
  • Two new stamp sets.
  • Two new die sets.
New Techniques Tried:
  • Using dye and chalk ink on glossy and photo paper.  
Your Turn
Share your tips for adding creativity to your daily life.  How do you get started?  What time of day are you most creative?  What gets in your way?  I want to know.

Looking for a support group to join to start your streak?

50 Challenges in 2015

Here at Everyday Moodlings we take using our stashes very seriously.  Hey....I started a whole blog on the top.  But then, everyone has a blog.

So we decided to start a Facebook group dedicated to using what we have on hand.  WOW!  That was really thinking outside the box. :)

If you would like an extra push to start using all of those supplies you are hiding from your husband, then join us.  I will be posting a new challenge each week starting on January 19th.

Then together we can post our ideas, inspiration and completed projects.  It will be fun.....I promise!  Join the 50 Challenges in 2015 Facebook group.

Thanks for stopping by.
Jeri'

3 comments:

  1. I have my own kind of streak going. I'm very lucky in that I'm retired and usually have plenty of time every single day to create! My problem is getting focused - too many ideas and projects in my head. So this year I devised a schedule for myself, a way to work on certain things on certain days. That sounds like it might stifle creativity, but for me it works! I've already made about a dozen Christmas cards for giving or selling this year! I might use the theme of the day for cards, layouts, or other creative projects.
    Monday: Merry Christmas
    Tuesday: Tons of Cards; Travel
    Wednesday: Wishing You a Happy Birthday
    Thursday: Thank You
    Friday: Family
    Saturday: "Sale-able" items
    Sunday: Surprise!
    Of course, I know I won't follow this every day, but so far I've managed to stick with it. I'm so glad I did this - now I'm excited to get to work each day instead of overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,
      I'm very inspired by your schedule. I am one who also loves a schedule and being disciplined helps me get it all done...OK, most of it gets done ! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Margaret,
      I love your schedule. I am actually surprised I did not come up with the same idea. LOL! So thanks for inspiring me. I decided on a schedule for myself and I will be sharing it later this month.

      Delete